Home Health Placenta Pills For Mothers Leads To Baby Diagnosed With Group B Streptococcus

Placenta Pills For Mothers Leads To Baby Diagnosed With Group B Streptococcus

120
0
SHARE

A baby got infected with group B streptococcus A baby after his mother ate her own placenta, according to a new report detailing the case that was published in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Streptococcus

When the baby was born last fall, doctors found that the baby a group B streptococcus infection. Group B streptococcus is a bacterium mainly found in and on our bodies but can cause severe infections and illnesses in newborns, including sepsis, pneumonia and meningitis. It is known that when a baby gets the group B strep, the infection was passed by the mother during the birth.

The baby underwent treatment for the group B strep infection. After undergoing treatment, the baby in the case was released from the hospital, however, he was sent to another hospital after five days.

The baby underwent tests and it has been proven positive for a group B infection, though the infection that recurred was not usual, said, Dr Genevieve Buser, lead author of the report and one of the treating physicians.

Possible Cause

Buser, who works as an infectious disease and pediatrics specialist in Portland, Oregon, studied the issue and revealed that that placenta pills may have led to the group B strep infection.

“We were concerned because the mother’s breast milk had been tested, and it was negative for group B strep. So we were just trying to understand why this child would have two infections in a row,” said Buser. “And when we discovered that the placenta had been encapsulated, we asked to test the dried placenta inside the capsules and that came back positive for group B strep.”

The placenta capsules and the baby’s blood samples were sent to the CDC for testing, it was found that all the samples and results were identical, which led to the conclusion that the mother was held accountable for using the placenta bills that caused the infection. However, there are prospects that the infection could have come from another family member.